Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 5: Sorry PC issues to blame this time

Excuse #3 Protecting the environment is something worldly people do.

True. Do you know why? Because when God's people doesn't do His Will, He'll appoint someone else to finish the job. Even people who don't believe in Him. But to use that as an excuse not to help our planet is just plain silly. 'Well those heathen tree-huggers do all kind of sin and they're trying to save the environment, so that must be a sin too.' Say that out loud. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

The problem is, we assume that those people will never change. We assume they can't be saved. but what if they who are already drawn to protecting this earth realized that they are protecting God's glory? And us so called Christians do care about the planet because we want to give Glory to God and we want to help people suffering as a result of our environmentally irresponsible behavior? They might listen to us and ask us to tell them about Jesus. See the world believes, if you're a good person who does good things, you'll go to heaven. We know better. We know half the equation. Jesus. They know the other half. taking care of the earth and taking care of the people who live off the earth. If we add those together we get a better world doing God's will.

Take the example of Cyrus the Persian in Isaiah 45:1-6.

"Thus says the Lord to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped to subdue nations before him and strip kings of their robes, to open doors before him-and the gates shall not be closed: I will go before you and level the mountains, I will break in pieces the doors of bronze and cut through the bars of iron, I will give you the treasures of darkness and riches hidden in secret places, so that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, who call you by your name. For the sake of my servant Jacob, and Israel my chosen, I call you by your name, I surname you, though you do not know me. I am the Lord, and there is no other; besides me there is no god. I arm you, though you do not know me, that that they may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is no one besides me; I am the Lord, and there is no other.

Cyrus wasn't a believer. But God chose him to save Israel. Not just to save Israel, but to show that He was God. And he wasn't just showing the world He was God. He was showing Cyrus. Working side by side with non believers to protect our planet is a wonderful way to witness and make disciples of all nations. And lets face it. We're all sinners. Remembering that and our common goals to protect the earth is common ground to a conversation about Jesus. And remember that we're still sinners like non-believing environmentalists. Just because we're born again doesn't make us better than anyone else. But saying that 'going green' is a sin because the world does it is essentially saying just that. 'I'm better than the world so protecting the environment is a sin'. Sounds even sillier huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment