Saturday, April 11, 2009

April 10th's blog:Sorryfor the Delay! Psalm 22

Mark 15:33-39

'When it was noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. At three o'clock, Jesus cried out with a loud voice "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabach thani?" which means, "My God, my god, why have you forsaken me?" When some of the bystanders heard it, they said "Listen, he is calling for Elijah." And someone ran, filled a sponge with sour wine; put it on a stick; and gave it to him to drink saying, "Wait, let us see weither Elijah will care to take him down." Then Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last. And the curtain of the temple tore in two, from top to bottom. Now when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that in this way he breathed his last, he said,

"Truly this man was God's Son!" (NRSV)

I never understood why Jesus would shout 'My God, My God! Why have you forsaken me?" He was the Son of God. He rose from the grave two days later. Surely saying such a thing would make it seem like he doubted his own claim as death came to claim him. For years I prayed God would tell me why Jesus said this. I knew he had a reason. I just never knew why. Finally, last Sunday, Palm Sunday, I got my answer.

My sunday school class has been studying Isaiah and when Isaiah spoke of a suffering servant, he predicted Christ. (Isaiah 52:13 - 53:1-12) One of the reference my teacher used was Psalms 22 written by David. It begins,

"My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?"

Sound familiar?

Psalm 22 was originally written by King David. Possibly as he was escaping Saul again. But the language is a mirror of the cross.

Psalm 22:7 'All who see me mock at me; they shall make mouths at me, they shake their heads, "Commit your cause to the Lord; let him deliver-let him rescue the one in whom he delights!"

Luke 23:35-37

"And the people stood by, watching; but the leaders scoffed at him saying, "He saved others, let him save himself if he is the Messiah of God, His Chosen One!" The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine, and saying, "If you are the King of Jews, save yourself!"

'Psalm 22:18 They devide my clothes amoung themselves; and for my clothing they cast lots.'

Mark 15:24 'And they crucified him, casting lots to decide what each should take.'

Psalm 22:16 ' For dogs are all around me; a company of evil doers encircles me. My hands and feet have shriveled.'

Luke 24: 39 'Look at my hands and feet, see that it is I myself. Touch me and see, for a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.'

I think when Jesus cried out to heaven, he was pointing out Psalm 22. Not only does it speak about his being a decendant of David, it truly vocalizes his pain...and his joy. For there are three parts where the Psalm praises God and claims God's salvation. But it is the last few verses really speak to us.

Psalm 22:27-31 'All the ends of the earth shall remember, and turn to the Lord; and all the families of the nations shall worship before him. For dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations. To him indeed shall all who sleep in the earth bow down, before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, and I shall live for him. Posterity will serve him; future generation will be told about the Lord, and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, saying he has done it.'

Luke 23:46 Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." Having said this, he breathed his last.'

So read Psalm 22, and you will know what Jesus was thinking when he died on the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment