Monday, April 6, 2009

Why I Go Green for God

In the last year or so, the good ol' USA has rallied behind the whole concept on 'Going Green'. Just in case you've been living under a rock, that lovely little phrase means adapting one's lifestyle to be more mindful of one's affect on our Earth. And I began to wonder. What is the Christian's role to play in this recent fad?


Let me take you back to when God began to lead me on this journey. I had just graduated college with a Bachelor's of Science majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. Most people are surprised when I tell them I went to college in my home state Kentucky. Obviously, when people think of fashion, they think Paris, Milan, New York City. And after I tell them I got my fashion degree in Kentucky, the very next question is 'Why don't you go to New York or Paris to advance your career?' The answer? One word. Money.


With bills and a student loan to pay, I had to get a retail job. My schedule is such that when I get home, sewing is often the last thing on my mind. Which was really hard because as crazy as it sounds, I feel as if God has called me to be a fashion designer. I didn't know why. It's an industry based on vanity, greed, and is associated with drug abuse, eating disorders and homosexuality. And then as graduation neared, God was telling me to stay in Kentucky. What?! How am I suppose to be a fashion designer and a Christian and in Kentucky?


But I trusted God would reveal His plan to me. And I think He began when I stumbled across the website threadbanger.com. It's a website dedicated to the craft movement and recycling and DIY fashion. Their webshows kept me in the loop, taught me new techniques,and inspired me to get creative again.


But the site is very secular. So I began to wonder what Christians were doing to 'go green'. Was the entire concept even bibical? Is it God's will?


So I Googled 'Christians and the environment' and found the Environmental Evangelical Network. They explained how 'creation care' is taking care of God's people and nature. All using NIV scripture references. Then I found 'The Green Bible'. Using text printed in green soy based ink, this new revised standard edition highlights scripture pointing to creation care concepts and featured many essays from pastors and priests including the late Pope John Paul II and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.


So what are the 'green themes' in the bible? From what I have learned so far, witnessing, stewardship, love, holyness, justice and God's glory. Over the next three weeks, I will be further explain what God has been teaching me and why it is critical for a Christian to also be an environmentalist. For I think that by realizing we Christians need to take care of God's world, we will as Christians be one step closer to God's ultimate purpose for creation. Bringing glory to His name. So let me leave you with a piece of scripture that will help prepare your heart to start 'going green' for God.


Col. 1:15-20: "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross."

No comments:

Post a Comment